Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review of Object Pronouns



Object Pronouns: There are two types: direct object (DO) and indirect object (IO).

The direct object pronoun answers the question "whom" or "what" or, to express this another way, it designates the recipient of the action.

John calls me every day.  Juan me llama todos los días.

In this sentence "me" is the direct object pronoun. Notice that the pronoun goes before the conjugated verb.


The indirect object pronoun answers the question "to whom" or "for whom" or "to what" or "for what."

John gave me a gift.  Juan me dio un regalo.

In this sentence "me' is the indirect object pronoun. The gift is the direct recipient of the action of giving.


Write these sentences in Spanish.


I visited her yesterday.

They called us last night.

I gave her the newspaper.

We cooked the meal together.

My brother fixed the car for me. (There are two ways to write this.)

They borrowed money from me. (There are two ways to write this.)


Prepositional Pronouns: This type comes after a preposition and appears at the end of a sentence.

Translate these sentences to English.


Te amo. Response: Y yo a ti.

Esta carta es para ti.

Ella comprό el regalo para sí misma.

El perro me ladrό, no a ti.

La sorpresa no es para ella.

El regalo es para mí.

El regalo está detrás de usted.

Miro bajo él.

La advertencia es para nosotros.

Las galletas son para ustedes.

La estatua está delante de ti.


Direct Object Pronouns Together


Place the direct object pronoun closest to the conjugated verb.

Ellos me los dan. They are giving them to me. / They give them to me.
IO pronoun: me
DO pronoun: los


Ella te la dio. She gave it to you.
IO pronoun: te
DO pronoun: la



When the Indirect Object Changes to SE


Whenever both pronouns begin with the letter "l" change the first pronoun to "se."
le lo = se lo
le la = se la
le los = se los
le las = se las
les lo = se lo
les la = se la
les los = se los
les las = se las

No se lo tengo.  I don't have it for you.

Nunca se los compro.  I never buy them for her.


Because the pronoun se can have many meanings, it is helpful to clarify it by using a prepositional phrase.

El se lo dice a Carmen.

Ella se lo explicaba a ellos.



Write these sentences in Spanish.


We gave it (the newspaper) to her.

They delivered them (the packages) to us.

I explained it (the situation) to them.

He can't do it for me.

You all bought them (gifts) for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment