Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Preterit of caer, oír, leer, and creer



Gato Loco dice "El cielo cae."

The preterit is the tense with the most irregularities. The table below shows how four irregular verbs are formed in the preterit tense. The verbs caeroír, leer and creer have accents marks on all but the third person plural.


caer - to fall

yo caí  (I fell)
tú caíste  (you fell)
usted/él/ella cayó  (you/he/she fell)
nosotros caímos  (we fell)
ustedes/ellos/ellas cayeron  (you all/they fell)


oír - to hear

yo  (I heard)
oíste  (you heard)
usted/él/ella oyó  (you/he/she heard)
nosotros oímos  (we heard)
vosotros oísteis (you guys heard)
ustedes/ellos/ellas oyeron  (you all/they heard)


leer - to read

yo leí  (I read)
leíste  (you read)
usted/él/ella leyó  (you/he/she read)
nosotras leímos (we read)
ustedes/ellos/ellas leyeron  (you all/they read) 


creer - to believe        Complete the conjugation.

yo creí  (I believed)

usted/él/ella
nosotros
ustedes/ellos/ellas


Practice these preterit tense verbs with negative expressions.

No oí nada. - I didn't hear anything.

Oí nada. - I heard nothing.

Ellas oyeron nada diferente. - They heard nothing different.

Ella no me oyó. - She didn't hear me.

Nadie leyó las noticias. - No one read the news.

No leí nada. - I didn't read anything.

Ni mi madre ni mi padre me creyό. - Neither my mother nor my father believed me.

No creí lo que el me dijo. - I didn't believe what he told me.

La lluvia no cayó en el valle.- The rain did not fall in the valley.

Nunca caí en la calle. - I never fell in the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment